Friday, February 24, 2012
Well, the fans are the reason the Yankees always make a move that hurts them in the long run, or Manny Ramirez is in Oakland. The fans push for or against the moves, and it feels like more fans means the GM cares more. The A's have less fans then us, the Rays too. That is the reason they can afford to sign Manny, busted not once, but twice during his tenure in Tampa Bay. The wouldn't have the big press to bash every move and the fans wouldn't boycott the team because they make most of their money on revenue sharing and the TV deal, so they lose a few fans? Now no way in the world would the Yankees, Sox, Cubs, Dodgers, Giants, Tigers, Angels, or any other big market team sign him. The Rays and A's had different reasons, but this is an extremely low risk high reward signing The Red Sox always wanted Gonzo, but their fans were the ones who shouted about it! We essentially are their voice.
Friday, February 17, 2012
- The Padres have agreed to terms with RHP Micah Owings on a one year 1,000,000 dollar contract for the 2012 season, despite his big bat, he will be competing for a spot in the bullpen, instead of as a hitter. Over a 600 AB season he averages 27 home runs and a .286 average.
- The Padres have reportedly signed a contract with Fox worth 40 million dollars escalating to 75 million at the end of the 20-year deal. This should increase our payroll.
- The Padres signed veteran Jeff Suppan to a minor league deal.
- HOF catcher Gary Carter passed away today, RIP.
- International free agent, 26-year old, Yoeheis Cespedes signed a 4 year 36 million dollar contract with the A's, making him their highest paid player.